1 ½ hours
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Heat the sugar in a medium sauté pan over medium heat until the sugar meld into a syrup-like consistency. Immediately pour the caramelized sugar into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, Tia Maria and vanilla in a small bowl. Gradually add the whole milk, half-and-half and condensed milk and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the caramelized sugar in the pie pan.
- Set the pie pan in a shallow baking pan and pour hot water one-quarter of the way up the side of the pie-pan- this is for double steaming and setting the base of the flan.
- Bake the flan, uncovered, in the water bath until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 90 minutes.
- Remove the flan from the water bath and let it cool to room temperature. Chill the flan in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to serve, dip the pie pan quickly in hot water, then invert the flan onto a serving dish. Cut the flan into wedges and garnish.